STARS (Selective Tartrate Removal System) uses highly selective ionic membranes and a weak electrical field to remove the specific components that cause tartrate precipitation. STARS is exact, removing only the specific amount of ionic salts needed for stabilization. STARS requires no refrigeration. Our system can process up to 2400 lph.
Our customers use STARS for:
- To Tartrate Stabilize wines to -4C, typically just after crossflow filtration and prior to packaging.
- To pH reduce high pH wines.
STARS Unit 1 – ED600 - Eurodia - 1800 lph
- STARS offers the benefit of being both instantaneous and accurate. This reduces scheduling issues, and allows for earlier release of wines.
- STARS has no wine loss, as opposed to chilling and racking off settled tartrates.
- STARS preserves aromatics and has less oxygen uptake compared to chilling.
Electrodialysis for wine processing was co-developed by INRA, the French Nation Argronomic Research Institute, and Eurodia Industrie.
The STARS system operator uses STABILAB to determine the conductivity reduction required for each individual wine. The test is run at a predetermined temperature and determines the relationship between temperature and conductivity of the untreated and saturated wine. The STARS unit measures the conductivity of the treated wine in real time to ensure achieving the level of stability required.
We require wine be filtered prior to being treated with our STARS system. The use of our mobile Crossflow Microfiltration Systems is an excellent pretreatment step.
Request a quote from our experienced wine filtration consultants today.